But why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I haven't been to the job yet. They will be replacing a furnace tomorrow which I will be working. I have never seen so many relays on a heating system. Has anyone seen or know why they would do such a thing?
69a95ad5db50a965a7a6e069c4dbd0a3.jpg
8dd01f99a65e0924369a7c60b4dcbc20.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
They will be replacing a furnace tomorrow
Furnace or boiler? This is like saying "plugs" instead of "receptacles". "Furnace" and "boiler" are two completely different things that people don't bother to distinguish.

You need to look at it. I suspect 4 zones with a circulator for each zone. Original installer was probably an electrician who had no idea about hydronic controls. Or he had those on the truck. Or they were cheaper.

If hydronic, you are correct. Replace the mess with a Taco zone controller, you will need a 6 zone. I think they go from 2 to 6.

-Hal

Last edited:

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I was just told there are a total of 8 zone valves. Should be fairly straightforward I just never seen this setup before

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I was just told there are a total of 8 zone valves. Should be fairly straightforward I just never seen this setup before

8 thermostats, 8 zone valves with 8 end switches wired in parallel to turn on the boiler and circulator, one circulator. Would be nice, right?

How come there are four relays marked 1,2,3 and 5?

Are there heating/cooling thermostats for A/C and heating? Maybe zones 1,2,3 & 5? Maybe the relays are used because the thermostats are powered from the A/C units, and he needed a set of dry contacts to control those four zone valves which are powered from a separate transformer along with the rest of the valves?

-Hal

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
They ended up running all the zone valve wires to one j box in the crawl space and having one 18/8 and 18/3 going back to the boiler. I ended up installing two zone boards and running individual wires back to the new boiler. Still no idea what they had going on with all those relays.

Status
Not open for further replies.