Buying a house a few years old vs wiring

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
The last home I owned was bought 15 years old or so. It wasn't until 8 to 10 years later that I started having issued.

Upon going to the attack for flickering bathroom lights, I found that original wiring had a branch circuit feed a hall way receptacle adjacent to bathrooom, then feed the adjacent bathroom GFCI and then feed the distant bathroom 2.

After studying code, I found this to be an illegal wiring installation since bathrooms can feed other bathrooms but may have no other outlets such as in the hall way NEC 210.11C3, can a claim be made against the bank who sold the house without disclosure or the building company?

There is no evidence of remodeling or such to change original wiring

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Liability would obviously a legal not a Code question so out of the realm of this Forum.
If it passed inspection and there was a Certificate of Occupancy and no damage incurred IMO and no obvious intent to defraud, there is little chance of anyone being held at fault.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The last home I owned was bought 15 years old or so. It wasn't until 8 to 10 years later that I started having issues... can a claim be made against the bank who sold the house without disclosure or the building company?
You have to be kidding. Put a few dollars on the lottery, at least you have a chance.

-Hal

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Upon going to the attack for flickering bathroom lights, I found that original wiring had a branch circuit feed a hall way receptacle adjacent to bathrooom, then feed the adjacent bathroom GFCI and then feed the distant bathroom 2.
Just what damage do you think you incurred?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think was built in 92 or 96
Which doesn't mean the 90 or 96 code was adopted at the time the house was permitted regardless of what either said about the circuit wiring method. I'm using my phone at the moment but I don't think 210.11 had the same restrictions in the 90's that it has now

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You should be able to find out which code editions were in effect when the house was first permitted.

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Everything was fine for 8-10 years. Normal wear-and-tear on the circuits (constantly plugging/unplugging the vacuum in the hall; turning the lights on and off) probably caused the problems you experienced. Wear-and-tear is (AFAIK) not insurable!

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Which doesn't mean the 90 or 96 code was adopted at the time the house was permitted regardless of what either said about the circuit wiring method. I'm using my phone at the moment but I don't think 210.11 had the same restrictions in the 90's that it has now
I see we'd have to know what 92 code was

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Everything was fine for 8-10 years. Normal wear-and-tear on the circuits (constantly plugging/unplugging the vacuum in the hall; turning the lights on and off) probably caused the problems you experienced. Wear-and-tear is (AFAIK) not insurable!
Normal wear and tear bit doesn't explain tieing in hall with bathroom if it wasn't allowed in 1996 or bare wires from Rome laying in attack without being terminated secuted in a box with cover

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Fix it yourself. Make sure you update to all the current code requirements. Check everything. Don't forget those AFCIs.
The house was sold a couple of years ago as is but I was asking hypothetically

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Oh, suppose the current owners find more irregularities. What would you say about them coming after you?
Only after July 2004 did CA Civil Code 1102/.6h require disclosure of defects on Transfer on Disclosure Statements (TDS). That was a new real estate law. Not sure what other laws allow recovery from of such defects.

Not aware what laws in other states require appraiser, contractor, DIY, hack, house flipper, owner builder, or realtor, to disclose construction defect, fire hazard, or booby trap, known to disqualify insurance claims, or cause unsuspecting buyers a complete loss.

If you ever sit in small claims, you will find 99% of those cases are personal injury claims trying to force insurance to pay vehicle-accident claims, which they typically deny until forced to pay.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Only after July 2004 did CA Civil Code 1102/.6h require disclosure of defects on Transfer on Disclosure Statements (TDS). That was a new real estate law. Not sure what other laws allow recovery from of such defects.

Not aware what laws in other states require appraiser, contractor, DIY, hack, house flipper, owner builder, or realtor, to disclose construction defect, fire hazard, or booby trap, known to disqualify insurance claims, or cause unsuspecting buyers a complete loss.

If you ever sit in small claims, you will find 99% of those cases are personal injury claims trying to force insurance to pay vehicle-accident claims, which they typically deny until forced to pay.
Like builders, realtors, bankers and city officials that knew the dang hillside has been moving for close to 60 years?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Like builders, realtors, bankers and city officials that knew the dang hillside has been moving for close to 60 years?
On local new interviews, those home owners are speaking litigation language, as if coached by attorneys.

City & utility are in CYA mode, so historical evidence would have long been lost, or shredded, by now.