Buying Code Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockin

I am teaching a first year electrical class again this year.

My questions is: When will the 2011 NEC be available for purchase? It seems like a waste for me to make the students purchase the 2008 since it will be obsolete in a couple months.

Thanks!

shockin

Thanks for the responces -

I undestand that 2011 won't be adopted in my area for a while yet. My thought process being that it might be better to get the students use to working out of the new code book so they are that much more familiar with it, as opposed to going thru the fustrating process of "relearning" a new code book in 2nd year. When they take their State liscense test it will be on the 2011. It seems I would be helping them by getting them more familiar with that book.

I'm not too concerened about them learning from a code that isn't yet adopted. These are 1st year apprentices and I don't see them making any critical decisions on the job site.

The biggest issue I can see is that the curriculum would be based on 2008. Not sure how much that would affect things.

wireguy8169

Shock,

yeah with the curriculum being 2008, 2011 code could pose an issue of accuracy in answering questions based on 2008. Speaking from a students point of view I would appreciate the jump start on the code I would be taking a test on even if it was down the road, but I also know some students may not want to be more confused :grin: . Sounds like your a decent instructor, getting them ready for the future, sure you will make it work.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
2011 NEC will be available from IAEI the third week of September.
I got my copy this week at the IAEI NW section meeting in Boise for $70.00
I would wait and get a copy at a wholesale house. One locally will be selling them for $47.50

And I would suggest as an instructor you would greatly benefit from attending one of the IAEI section meetings, two days of code changes from the folks who are on the panels. We had some sessions presented by Mark Early , NFPA electrical section head engineer.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
$47.50 WOW WE can't get one copy for less than $80.00 in mass and thats at the supply house:mad: Whats up with that they print it here and its 1/2 price in Washington ,,, well thats massachusetts for you ,,OH Don't fogett the new 6.25 % sales "TAX".:mad:

Shock,

yeah with the curriculum being 2008, 2011 code could pose an issue of accuracy in answering questions based on 2008. Speaking from a students point of view I would appreciate the jump start on the code I would be taking a test on even if it was down the road, but I also know some students may not want to be more confused :grin: . Sounds like your a decent instructor, getting them ready for the future, sure you will make it work.

In California they are still using the 2002 for testing.

New tests cost money and the state can't afford it and support all the freeloaders here.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
One of my students bought a copy of the 08 at Barnes and Noble - paid $92.00! He'll be taking that back. CA just adoped the 08 NEC so we can sell them our 08s.

480sparky

We'll probably adopt the '11 the first of next year. I always get two looseleafs. When the next issue is adopted, I donate one of my old LLs to a student.

raider1

Staff member
I just purchased my copy of the 2011 NEC at the local supply house, $59.00 until the first batch is gone then it will be more.

Chris

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
California Electrician Journeyman test will be based on the 2008 starting January 2011.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I would recommend the student to get the hand book vs the soft bound. I think it is a much better investment.

brian john

I am teaching a first year electrical class again this year.

My questions is: When will the 2011 NEC be available for purchase? It seems like a waste for me to make the students purchase the 2008 since it will be obsolete in a couple months.

Thanks!

Hardly will damage their brain power, A good electrician should own every NEC from day one to they day they retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.