BX cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLP1911

I am bidding a job and the whole house is in BX from the 50s. The owner just wants a partial rewire, all new kitchen and basement wiring. However she wants all new light fixtures and receptacles throughout. Most towns I’m licensed in say in the packet, “remove BX if feasible” I can’t find anything in the NEC on this. If I touch it do I have to change it? FYI I’m in Indiana we are 2008 code.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
If the BX was secured properly within the walls, would you consider that feasible to remove? I don't think you will find a code in the NEC about removing BX. Knob and Tube, definitely. I'd suggest checking your ground continuity. If the areas you are working in will present access to remove the BX cable, discuss options with the client. If your local codes say to remove it though... then you should really contact your AHJ. All my opinion... not official statements.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
If it's fished remove it. But built in the 50s it would be secured and not removable without cutting holes. You could rewire it with NM and new outlet boxes and blank off the old outlets but the owner probably won't go for that.

The other issue is it could well be the older BX without the aluminum ground strip. Problem is you can't know that until you take things apart

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm a big fan of leaving functional, existing wiring in place, and installing new circuits for new loads and load clusters.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I'm a big fan of leaving functional, existing wiring in place, and installing new circuits for new loads and load clusters.

Agreed, everything can get carried to the exstreem. Seems like more than ever the code has no common sense. Local rules. I guess they want to do away with a wiring method that's been used for years

Status
Not open for further replies.