BX Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

I am trying to comply with a standard (IEC-61010) and it states:

"A compression bushing shall not be used as a cord anchorage unless it is suitable for use with the MAINS supply cord supplied with it or specified for it by the manufacturer."

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
That looks like a romex connector not a BX connector.
That was my thought, as well. Perhaps there is a typo of "BX" instead of what was meant, "RX", a trade slang for "romex"?

I didn't understand the reference to IEC-61010 until I googled it and learned that it concerns itself with "Safety requirements for electrical equipment for measurement, control, and laboratory use."

I suspect the question concerns attaching a CORD to a piece of utilization equipment.

I suspect that a "compression bushing" is a nonmetallic item intended to clamp to a CORD to provide strain relief, while being held in an active compressed state by being inserted (snapped) into an enclosure hole of a specific dimension, thus, at the same time, providing cord attachment to an enclosure.

"BX", being a form of Armored Cable (AC) does not use connectors that are approved, also, for connecting CORDS.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think there are some bx connectors that look like that however I am not comfortable using them. Looks like an NM connector to me also- not sure what the difference is if it is rated for ac cable.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I am trying to comply with a standard (IEC-61010) and it states:

"A compression bushing shall not be used as a cord anchorage unless it is suitable for use with the MAINS supply cord supplied with it or specified for it by the manufacturer."

it very well may be a combo connector. I use them. good for NM and BX.

Before we go down this path, maybe we can hear back from Fifty60 about whether we're actually talking about CORDS.

fmtjfw

OK, so what the standard seems to require is that the cord manufacturer indicate that the cord compression fitting is suitable for use with the cord.

The UL listing for Cord Sets and Power-Supply Cords (ELBZ) has no reference to fittings used to clamp the cord at the appliance. See 2013 White Book available for download from UL.ORG.

In the dim, dark past, when rats wore clothes, the use of SO like cable was recognized as a fixed wiring method for wet or damp locations, dairys, cold-storage warehouses .... As far as I can recall the fittings used were gland using a "rubber" interior fitting around the cable and a external nut/cup used to compress the rubber. Such fittings are still sold.

Once again unless this is a 3-phase or a (250V?) current greater than 16A, the best solution is a C13/C14 (10A) or C19/C20 (16A) cord and chassis connector. The connectors (male chassis mount) and the cord can be easily gotten with a dozen or so European/Worldwide standards compliances.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320 for an English summary on these.

If you require more current or 3-phase, then you need to find a US or other vendor who will designate a cord clamp that is suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.