C-10 without code book

GenaB

Occupation
Electrician
Hey guys I am studying for the C10 electrical portion and I am using study material from rocketcert. There are many questions asking amperage values for wire sizes etc. In all the other exams we could use the code book and appropriate tables to look up these values. I'm pretty sure there are no books allowed in this exam so am I supposed to memorize these values? Some questions even asked at different temp ratings meaning I would need to devalue but again without the book... Will I need to memorize these tables for this exam or will there be tables attached to the questions? Or am I allowed a code book? Thanks for the insight everyone.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I seriously doubt these type of questions will be closed book. You should be able to get all the exam info before you take it

GenaB

Occupation
Electrician
I seriously doubt these type of questions will be closed book. You should be able to get all the exam info before you take it
The candidate bulletin says its closed book. I'm assuming this study material either isn't accurate for the test or there will be tables attached to the questions. I am hoping to hear from someone who has taken it to verify.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The candidate bulletin says its closed book. I'm assuming this study material either isn't accurate for the test or there will be tables attached to the questions. I am hoping to hear from someone who has taken it to verify.
I suspect if it is closed book that they will give you a table for wire ampacities.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As Dennis says, there will be some supplemental information for these questions. If anyone can remember all the tables in 310 and chapter 9 they are above human.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There are a lot of C-10 people here, hang tight one or more of them will chime in.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Pardon my ignorance but what is a C10? Is that a state license or multi state certification or something?

norcal

Pardon my ignorance but what is a C10? Is that a state license or multi state certification or something?
In California it's the contractors classification for electrical contractors, C7 I think is low voltage, I allowed my C10 to expire at the first of the year, it had been in inactive status & decided not to spend the $300 to keep it alive since my health no longer allows me to do much anymore so it didn't make sense keep it going.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
My C-46 exam was a decade ago now, but from what I recall it was closed book, and whenever the question relied on certain code references for a calculation those were given to you.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I’m a C-10 and a B here in California.

No, Code books, nor any materials, not even hand written notes, are permitted in the exam.

Some test materials are good, some are decent, some are just not that good at all.

There will be some questions about ampacity, but they are the ones that are on the tips of our tongues if we’ve been in the trades.

You’re not going to get asked about 90C AL 1/0 with 80% derate for 6 CCC. 😳

Remember that they have set the bar pretty low at 78% pass rate. Don’t get me wrong, you need to know your stuff and know it well. But if you miss one of those it’s not going to cause you to fail. I think I only missed one question in my test.