C1D1 VFD Cable

ChetChelios

Occupation
Engineer
Hello, we are having trouble finding a VFD cable that is rated for C1D1.
We cant use conduits because the system is on a skid and the vfd panel will not be on the skid so the VFD cable needs to be rated for c1d1.
Thank you

ChetChelios

Occupation
Engineer
Try NEC Section 501.10(A)(7). There are other options in Section 501.10(A) as well.
I should rephrase my question because we understand conduit and sealing requirements for c1d1 areas.

In this application there will be a skid with a pump.
The pump will have a coil of vfd cable that needs to plug into a motor panel that will not be on the skid.
Since the skid is mobile we cannot use conduit between the vfd and motor.
We are looking for a VFD cable that is rated to be in the C1D1 environment without a conduit.
Thanks

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Type TC-ER-HL sealing requirements are outlined in Section 501.15(D); especially Subsections 501.15(D)(1) and (2).
Several manufacturers make it. It can also come shielded with sectioned grounding conductors to make it VFD friendly. Contact a manufacturer.
Type MC-HL is also available from several manufacturers. It too can be made VFD friendly.
Neither Type is likely to be in a local warehouse. You will probably have to contact a specialty cable supply house or the manufactures directly.
Both Types must still recognize their respective Articles (330 & 336) as well as Article 501.
“Temporary” installations still must generally follow the applicable NEC requirements[See Section 590.2]

ChetChelios

Occupation
Engineer
Type TC-ER-HL sealing requirements are outlined in Section 501.15(D); especially Subsections 501.15(D)(1) and (2).
Several manufacturers make it. It can also come shielded with sectioned grounding conductors to make it VFD friendly. Contact a manufacturer.
Type MC-HL is also available from several manufacturers. It too can be made VFD friendly.
Neither Type is likely to be in a local warehouse. You will probably have to contact a specialty cable supply house or the manufactures directly.
Both Types must still recognize their respective Articles (330 & 336) as well as Article 501.
“Temporary” installations still must generally follow the applicable NEC requirements[See Section 590.2]
Thanks for the feed back. we have been in contact with most of the major manufacturers who all state that they only make c1d2 VFD cable. We did find literature online for one or two others and we are trying to get ahould of their reps or distributors but it is a long process.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It is indeed a time-consuming process. I did a web search on TC-ER-HL and found several potential suppliers. One that even specifically stated the product was suitable for Class I, Division 1.

Nevertheless, you may be forced into a Section 500.8(A)(3) situation. Look it up; it can be interesting. You get to do real engineering.