C1D2, Intrinsically Safe Cable Glands into Enclosure

brock.christie

New User
Occupation
Controls Engineer
I am working on designing a Class I, Division 2 control system for a grab sampling application. The application will use a NEMA 4X enclosure for the controls components:
  • CompactLogix 5370 Controller
  • PanelView Plus 7 Graphics Terminal
  • PULS 120VAC/24VDC Power Supply
  • Turck Isolating Switching Amplifiers (4-Channel)
All of the components in the enclosure are rated for a Class I, Division 2 classified area. I double-checked the Turck Isolating Switching Amplifier control drawing, and the drawing explicitly states that the device may be located in either a Non-Hazardous Location OR Class I, Division 2, Groups A-D location.

The field devices are proximity sensors (NAMUR-type), with M12 connections. Turck makes "HazLoc" cordsets (Tray Cable) that I could potentially use. I did see that Appleton makes TC Cable Connectors rated for Class I, Division 2; but these glands have NPT end connections. The NEMA 4X enclosure I imagine won't accept that type of fitting, as the wall thickness is most likely too thin, so is a locknut sufficient for this type of cable gland? It looks like the aluminum connectors (in Appleton literature) can be supplied with zinc plated steel locknuts. Also, am I missing something in my design strategy that I've expressed so far?