C400 vs. Class TPS current transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinod

I have a C400, cable-mounted CT that cannot be installed because the CT's inner diameter is too small for the cable.

As a solution, I am planning to install a spare class TPS CT that can fit the cable.

I think that there should be no problem with replacing the C400 CT with the class TPS CT because the class TPS CT has a higher breakdown voltage. According to the manufacturer's curves, the C400 CT breaks down at around 900V, whereas the class TPS CT breaks down at around 1,600V. The two CTs have the same ratio.

What other factors do I need to consider if I want to justify replacing the C400 with the class TPS CT?

Thanks

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

I have a C400, cable-mounted CT that cannot be installed because the CT's inner diameter is too small for the cable.

As a solution, I am planning to install a spare class TPS CT that can fit the cable.

I think that there should be no problem with replacing the C400 CT with the class TPS CT because the class TPS CT has a higher breakdown voltage. According to the manufacturer's curves, the C400 CT breaks down at around 900V, whereas the class TPS CT breaks down at around 1,600V. The two CTs have the same ratio.

What other factors do I need to consider if I want to justify replacing the C400 with the class TPS CT?

Thanks

Take a look the below factors

1-Rated primary current
2-turn ratio
3-Rated knee point emf at maximum secondary turns
4-Maximum exciting current at rated knee point emf
5-Maximum resistance of secondary winding
6-the error in the turns ratio
7-A rated burden at rated current
8-An accuracy class
9-An upper limit beyond which accuracy is not guaranteed(known as the accuracy limit factor)

Status
Not open for further replies.