CA Title 24 energy code " Kitchen Lighting"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
For those Kalifornians,
I was looking over the Energy Code for Kitchens and it appears that the code permits Under Cabinet lights to plugged in. ( prior years I belive they had to be hard wired)

Now can you plug them into the counter top receptacles , them being the required kitchen lighting as per the total kitchen lighting plan and specs.

I would think you can plug anything you wish into the counter top receps , however is it not the intent to have them placed onto a regular lighting circuit?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Where are you reading that? I didn't see anything. It says the standard applies to permanently installed lighting. A plug in fixture would not be considered permanently installed.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Where are you reading that? I didn't see anything. It says the standard applies to permanently installed lighting. A plug in fixture would not be considered permanently installed.

See page 6-3 of the Residential compliance manual (pg. 359 of the PDF)
E. Permanently Installed Lighting​
The residential lighting Standards apply only to permanently installedluminaires, i.e., luminaires that are attached to the house, as opposed toportable luminaires such as torchieres or table lamps.Permanently installed luminaires include ceiling luminaires, chandeliers, vanitylamps, wall sconces, under-cabinet luminaires, and any other type of luminairethat is attached to the house. Permanently installed luminaires may include​
hard wired or plug-in luminaires.

Weird Huh!:?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It might not be permanently wired, but that is not the definition the Energy Code is using.
The NEC generally discourages non-permanent wiring (and not just flexible cord) to permanently installed equipment, but still allows it under certain conditions.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I didn't really look but, I would think that you can install plug in undercabinet lights, but you can't use them in your calculations. Meaning that they can be used as the 50% high efficacy. Even if they were attached to the cabinets, but plugged in, I would consider them to be portable lighting, which is not addressed in the energy standards.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I didn't really look but, I would think that you can install plug in undercabinet lights, but you can't use them in your calculations. Meaning that they can be used as the 50% high efficacy. Even if they were attached to the cabinets, but plugged in, I would consider them to be portable lighting, which is not addressed in the energy standards.

Cowboy
I am confused as to what you are saying.

As I read the title 24 energy code the Plug in style screwed in under cab lights will claculate twards your high efficacy lighting

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Cowboy
I am confused as to what you are saying.

As I read the title 24 energy code the Plug in style screwed in under cab lights will claculate twards your high efficacy lighting
If all permanently installed lighting counts, and "Permanently installed luminaires include ... under-cabinet luminaires ...", then they should count all right.

Status
Not open for further replies.