Cabinet as bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Can the cabinet be the only bond between 2 ground bars or must there be a bonding jumper between the 2 bars? Factory installed bars. Metered between the 2 an got 0.01 ohms.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Service side, I'd say no, but then there wouldn't be an EGC. So, that means:

Feeder side, maybe, but how to assure required conductor-area equivalent?

Maybe it's the same as a conduit in the fault-current pathway, so it's okay.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Each ground bar is screwed to the cabinet, and so I'm not sure what advantage having a jumper between them would provide. Now if the main bonding jumper goes from one of the bars to the neutral, then a jumper to the other ground bar might provide a lower impedance path for ground faults that go though that other bar.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Can the cabinet be the only bond between 2 ground bars or must there be a bonding jumper between the 2 bars? Factory installed bars. Metered between the 2 an got 0.01 ohms.
No jumper is required. This has always been the case but in the 2020 NEC new language was added as 250.109 to make this clear.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I thought it should be fine just wanted other opinions to be sure.The panel has separate neutral and grounds, neutral bond is being remove for use as subpanel, just found it interesting that both grounding bars have a GEC lug so wasn't sure if it needed additional bonding to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.