cable clash

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I don't know but I like it, in this area steel trusses in buildings are usually 5' apart so being able to go six feet is a good thing.

celtic

Maybe it has to do with the EGC.
On AC you depend on the sheath - which can become "un-corrugated" and/or break the #16 bonding strip.
On MC you depend on an actual conductor or the #10 bonding strip [MC AP] which is a little but more substantial than a AC's bonding strip.

Just guessing here.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
iwire said:
I don't know but I like it, in this area steel trusses in buildings are usually 5' apart so being able to go six feet is a good thing

I'd like a picture of exposed MC, with 6ft supports. If not sagging or twisting around other cables, and spaced > 3ft, pray tell how so with those listed, loose fitting straps.

iwire

Staff member
ramsy said:
I'd like a picture of exposed MC, with 6ft supports. If not sagging or twisting around other cables, and spaced > 3ft, pray tell how so with those listed, loose fitting straps.

Of course it sags, why is that a problem?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I once saw some MC (at least I think thats what it was) running between two pipe racks about 20 feet up in the air hanging off what looked like a steel cable. The MC was wrapped around the cable, and maybe had some tie wraps, although it was high enough up I really could not tell.

I wonder if that was legal.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
iwire said:
The code is a minimum for SAFETY not how things look, it does not prohibit us from using more supports if we feel like it.

Perhaps we should appreciate inspectors viewing some of the code as a poor substitute for better design, better workmanship, or experience that just knows better?

Status
Not open for further replies.