Cable from meter/main panel to interior sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a new 200 amp meter with panel attached on the outside of my barn and ran new underground service cable to the transformer. Inspection passed and power company should be hooking up soon. Now I need to run cable from the outside panel to the interior sub. I have been reading a lot on SEU and SER but cannot seem to find what I need anywhere. I believe I would need SER 4/0 4/0 2/0, 2 hots and a neutral, right? All SER cables I find have 3 - 4/0 and a 2/0. So why is there the extra wire in the SER? I can easily get SEU 4/0 4/0 2/0, but the 2/0 is a bare wire. Is that ok to use as the neutral? Would I just twist them all together and connect it up to the neutral lug?

So, which cable is correct, SER or SEU?

Thank you!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended for use by electricians and electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and vendors with their job-related duties. We are not allowed to provide how-to advice to persons who are not employed in this industry, or persons who do not perform electrical installation or maintenance as part of their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.