Cable Lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charz

The project specification says, "All compression connectors for 10mm2 (8 AWG) and larger conductors shall have a manufacturer's reference compression die number and conductor size printed or stamped on the connector".

I have seen one hole and two hole cable lugs come with a die number and conductor size stamped on it.

Does Pin type lugs come with conductor size and die number stamped on the lugs?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I believe that they want the die number visible on the terminal after it's been crimped for inspection. If you look closely at the lug on the left down the center you can see a die number that has been pressed into the terminal. I see if I can find a better photo.
600 Lug.jpg

Charz

I tend to think the conductor size and the die number be stamped by the manufacturer and after crimping, the inspection be done by matching the die number made my crimping and the die number stamped by the manufacturer.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I tend to think the conductor size and the die number be stamped by the manufacturer and after crimping, the inspection be done by matching the die number made my crimping and the die number stamped by the manufacturer.
Not sure what you mean. The dies have their respective number on the die itself so when the metal is compressed the die number is transferred to the terminal. Someone could come by at a later date and see if the correct die was used for the crimp. Brundy uses index numbers and color codes like on this die:
109x230_pli-burndy-u39rt.jpg

Charz

Agree. How would they check if correct die/crimp was used?. This punched die number would be checked against the manufacturer stamped die number on the tongue of the lugs.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Agree. How would they check if correct die/crimp was used?. This punched die number would be checked against the manufacturer stamped die number on the tongue of the lugs.
Yes, you could check the index number against a chart from the equipment manufacturer something like this from Burndy.

Status
Not open for further replies.