Cable management

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

badabing said:
Would be interested if you have any photos of any jobs that you've done this sort of thing with as far as the cable management in/around the control panels? We've spoken to our homeowners guys, and he's said he's seen some guy's just really hack some stuff together to hold the cables.

No.... it seems a have an inordinate amount of pictures of what NOT to do.... :grin: I think I have a real winner of a Homeworks screwup somewhere????? (I'll look...)

And since locally I can not bring cable below 8' here due to local codes - most of what I have would be piped.

And yes - there is entirely too much cable to take to one place for these type of things - so I would assume there are a lot of horror stories out there....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
e57 said:
.... And am I happy they buy more stuff, and build these homes here rather than Monaco - damn straight!
What's the matter? You wouldn't like to live in Monaco? :)

TwinCitySparky

IMHO

These systems are just big play toys for the owners.

Now, add a couple more bells and whistles (occupancy sensors) and program the system to conserve energy. Then, we got something with merit. :rolleyes:

wireman71

To bad you can't use 14-2 for your fixtures.. Anyways maybe you can use some kind of Stackit to bundle your runs into the panel. I've used the white ones and some red ones shaped like a bar with notches that worked well.

e57

TwinCitySparky said:
Now, add a couple more bells and whistles (occupancy sensors) and program the system to conserve energy. Then, we got something with merit. :rolleyes:

If that were fashionable - sure! Most are lit like museums to highlight their stuff in the best possible light (the besty veiw of which is from another room most often...) - not for energy efficiency or medial tasks...

I have given the thought of "Whole House Light" - put faux skylights or windows with louvers or shutters into an attic or other space, then automate those.... Inside the attic you just install a few 1000w metal halides - When light is needed you just open the shutters for the desired near sun light bright IR/UV laden photons pouring out of your crawl space. You could even put in those solar tube things and pipe light around the house.... :grin:

Last edited:

jrannis

This seems like a commercial idea jammed into a house. I have piped in jobs like this and you will, for sure need lots of space. Like most custom projects, expect change orders.
I would find a space to locate nice sized "zone" junction boxes and try to get some home runs back to the panel from them. I wouldn't attempt to go with 100% romex. Get to be good friends with an 1-1/4" bender or smurf.

Status
Not open for further replies.