"Cable Protector Versus Cable Tray"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hutch75

I have run into a vendor that is proposing using their 'cable protector', which a Peterson Bumble Bee product to run class 1/2/3 circuits along with air and hydraulic piping at our plants. Their contention is that since their product is not a cable tray, it is exempt from article 392, and wiring methods in article 300(300.8 which bans mixing mechanical systems) that are not specifically called out in article 725. I cannot find the definition of 'cable protector' in the code, and am looking for valid documented code reasons to challenge this installation. They have a ruling from Ontarion Hydro 12-518, that allows this installation in Canada as long as spacing requirements are met. Any thoughts on this proposed USA installation?
bumble-bee-4.php4

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: "Cable Protector Versus Cable Tray"

As others have pointed out to me about a week ago:
Article 725 wiring is exempt from Chaper 3 rules unless they are specifically mentioned in article 725. Also, per 90.3, communications systems in chapter 8 are exempt from other chapters unless specifically referenced in Chapter 8.

My opinion is that the mixing is allowed even if you use a cable tray. Sorry if that's not the answer you wanted.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.