Cable rating Question-Telephone cable in cable tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfry

I need to install telephone cable(50 pair,22awg)in an outdoor cable tray at my industrial facility. It will be in a tray with instrumentation cables.
Does it have to be "tray-rated" cable?. I've been told that direct-burial, gel-filled cable is permissable.
I've contacted several manufacturers and none of them make this cable with a tray rating.
Thanks,
Paul

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Cable rating Question-Telephone cable in cable tray

Look at Table 392.3(A). Article 800 "multi purpose" cables are permitted in cable tray. Also look at 800.52(A)(2) for required seperation from other systems.
Don

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: Cable rating Question-Telephone cable in cable tray

I might be wrong but any tray cable is going to be 600 volt rated. That's why there isn't any communications cable listed as such.

If the cable is not buried it really doesn't have to be flooded or filled (gel). You will have to clean the compound off the pairs after you strip the jacket and shield with a solvent without messing the pairs up. If you untwist them you are screwed, you won't be able to identify your pairs. A 50 pair cable is made up of two 25 pair "binders". Yes, there is a color code for pairs 1-25 in each binder that you must follow.

In that Superior Essex link look under "Bell OSP Copper" then ALPETH. This is an outside plant cable.

All OSP cables have an overall shield that needs to be grounded at each end. You use a shield bond connector to connect the shield with a ground wire. Also, if this is running between two buildings you will need 50 pair protectors at each end.

One source for this stuff is Anixter. I believe they will cut to length.

Status
Not open for further replies.