Cable seals in Class 1 Div.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markmy

Occupation
Engineer
I have two submerged condensate sump pumps with cable terminated and sealed by manufacturer, located in Class 1 Div 1 area. These cables penetrate the sump cover and run without conduit to the control panel located in non-classified area. Do I need to seal cable in boundary of the hazardous and non-hazardous areas assuming that cables are vapor tight? If yes, how can I do it properly?
Thanks in advance.

Markmy

Occupation
Engineer
You do need a boundary seal; however, see Section 501.15(D)(2) and it’s Exception.
We have Incapable of Transmitting Gases or Vapors cables that run without conduit, so .15(D)(2) is not really applicable. So, I have no clue what to do with a boundary seals.

nhee2

We have Incapable of Transmitting Gases or Vapors cables that run without conduit, so .15(D)(2) is not really applicable. So, I have no clue what to do with a boundary seals.
Don't know if this old thread (and the thread referenced within) helps..

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
No you don’t. There isn’t a cable construction out there except MI that any NRTL will certify for a Section 501.15(D)(3) application.

What you need is clear documentation that establishes where the boundaries are.

Markmy

Occupation
Engineer
No you don’t. There isn’t a cable construction out there except MI that any NRTL will certify for a Section 501.15(D)(3) application.

What you need is clear documentation that establishes where the boundaries are.

Markmy

Occupation
Engineer
Yes, I do have a clear area classification drawing that shows the boundary. Still, don’t know if I need to seal cables at the boundaries.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Yes, I do have a clear area classification drawing that shows the boundary. Still, don’t know if I need to seal cables at the boundaries.
I haven’t seen the documentation of course, but I will say if you don’t have a raceway or sleeve somewhere between the Division 1 and unclassified locations you have at least two boundaries that need to be addressed AND there is at least one wiring method that doesn't meet the requirements of Section 501.10(A) unless you address it as nhee2 suggests in Post#4.

Status
Not open for further replies.