Cable supports

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfitzge2

Can Cat5 and similar cables be strung through bar joists of a building without support straps etc., and can they be run at any angle and not follow normal building lines?
My opinion is that article 300.11 clearly states that “cable assemblies” shall be secured in place. Article 725.6 requires cables to be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner. And it also states that cables exposed on the surface shall be attached to structural components by straps, staples, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable.
However I see jobs inspected and approved with cable running through bar josts at all angles and not strapped. Violation or no?

G

Re: Cable supports

Are you speaking of the T-Bars in a suspended ceiling?

800.5 Access to Electrical Equipment Behind Panels Designed to Allow Access. Access to electrical equipment shall not be denied by an accumulation of wires and cables that prevents removal of panels, including suspended ceiling panels.
Would that apply to your situation?

What about this one?

800.6 Mechanical Execution of Work. Communications circuits and equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner. Cables installed exposed on the outer surface of ceiling and sidewalls shall be supported by the structural components of the building structure in such a manner that the cable is not be damaged by normal building use. Such cables shall be attached to structural components by straps, staples, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable. The installation shall also conform with 300.4(D).
This is a new section in the NEC 2002 that actually spells out standards for workmanship.

iwire

Staff member

Cat 5 generally means data wiring which is covered by 725

800 is basically for phones, which might be Cat 5.

One thing to remember gfitzge2 is that 300 feet is the longest you can usually run cat 5 and still test OK. So in some cases going diagonally is the only way to stay under the 300 foot length.

That said we all see very sloppy installations of Voice Data Cabling. :eek:

gfitzge2

AWWT and IWIRE
Pretty much the same language applies to all of these cableing systems. Refer to 640.6 audio, 760.6 fire alarm, 770.8 fiber optic, 800.6 communication, 820.6 catv and 830.7 broadband. Ditto for the rule about not blocking access panels and the ceiling supporting cables. There is some commentary in the NEC hand book and an illustration that shows a trapeze hanger with cables in it. Great installation. Unfortunately many in the tela data sector are not taking the "neat and workman like manor" rule to heart. :mad:

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by gfitzge2:
AWWT and IWIRE
Pretty much the same language applies to all of these cableing systems.
I know :)

I also know that neat and workman like is unenforceable.

Other things are enforceable, if permits and inspections are performed like blocking the ceiling tiles, not using hangers, etc.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Unfortunately many in the tela data sector are not taking the "neat and workman like manor" rule to heart.

I wouldn't just condemn the "tele data sector". Every trade has it's share of hackers.

When we do a new installation we choose central routes for which to run our cables bundles and branch off from there. They may or may not follow building lines. If there are a quantity of cables we will usually use a hanger system (like Caddy) but much depends on the construction and how easy it is to pull the cables as well as how far they have to go. It is certainly acceptable to run cables through bar joists.

If the cables are installed neatly to begin with then it will be easy for those who follow to add additional runs just as neatly. If everything is a mess then nobody is going to bother later on.

We are not the cheapest contractor in the area and much can be said about getting what you pay for. We provide a neat installation and we feel that the customer is getting their money's worth.
I have seen other companies send out one man with hardly any tools and no ladders to do this kind of work. We were on the job once adding additional voice wiring when this guy comes along to do the data. He was done before us because he just pulled the CAT5 cable off the end of the reel on the floor(with all kinds of kinks) and threw it across the T bar ceiling- using our ladder. The customer remarked to me that he should of had this guy do the voice wiring instead of us because he was cheaper and was out of there quicker. :D

gfitzge2

The customer remarked to me that he should of had this guy do the voice wiring instead of us because he was cheaper and was out of there quicker. I just wish this was an area where LV was inspected.
Your reply gets back to what got me started on this in the first place. A contractor friend got under bid on a fairly large job. He included bridal rings, bushings for metal stud header plates etc. He saw the low bidders work, cable strung in all direction no hangers or straps, holes hammered in metal stud headers with a screw driver cable run through a rough hole with no bushings,you get the picture. All the customer saw was low price, and a working system..... at least for now. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.