cable tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Depends on what you want to "check" for. Simple continuity is about all you are going to do but even then I rather doubt that there is any single device that incorporates all those connectors.

-Hal

JJWalecka

Depends on what you want to "check" for. Simple continuity is about all you are going to do but even then I rather doubt that there is any single device that incorporates all those connectors.

-Hal

The Paladin Tools PC Cable Check Pro Tester tests 20 types of cables including RJ45, RJ11, RJ12, D-sub: 9-, 15- & 25-pin, HD-sub: 15-pin, USB: A, B, & mini 5-pin

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Don't see HDMI there.:)

Don't know how useful that thing would be. With the exception of the RJs and coax (RJs and coax have their own dedicated testers) all those cables are short and factory made. So you aren't going to see miswires, probably only opens and intermittents and those are usually because of the connectors being damaged or the cable being hacked up- all something that you can easily see and know right away.

But I guess it's cheap enough if you want to impress somebody. It's really a computer geek kind of thing like a pocket protector full of pencils.:lol:

-Hal

The Paladin sort of tester is useful to check damaged cables to see if they still conduct on all the leads. OTOH just using the cable will tell you that. They won't "certify" the cable. The only way, short of really expensive test gear, to see if something like an HDMI cable is usable is to plug it in, set the resolution really high, and look for junk on the display.

Status
Not open for further replies.