Cable tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerdT

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
New receptacles 120v, 20A will be installed in a room that has few workbench tables. Customer doesn’t want too many cables on the floor due to danger of anyone to trip and fall.

I don’t know anything about cable tray, but it seems doable. What do you guys suggest? How can you design and install for this situation?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So are you thinking of an overhead tray with individual conductors for each circuit. dropping down into... what?

Cable tray requires wire rated as Tray Cable. If you use drop cord to hang down for cord caps to plug into, the drop cable (i.e. SJO) is not usually Tray Rated. So now you have a j-box in the ceiling to make the transition. Is all that worth it for saving on a few sticks of EMT?

PowerdT

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So are you thinking of an overhead tray with individual conductors for each circuit. dropping down into... what?

Cable tray requires wire rated as Tray Cable. If you use drop cord to hang down for cord caps to plug into, the drop cable (i.e. SJO) is not usually Tray Rated. So now you have a j-box in the ceiling to make the transition. Is all that worth it for saving on a few sticks of EMT?

You are right but the workbenches are in the middle of the room and customer prefers the receptacles overhead for easier and safest access.

Each workbenches minimum has 10 receptacles. It’s commercial building. I am not sure what it will be connected to but I believe they want something like receptacles mounted on cable tray maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.