cable tv question

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

does anyone here know how to detect where a cable signal could be leaking from? my buddies cable was shut off and not repaired due to a "open loop" and the customer service person i spoke too said it could be due to the signal being leaked somewhere. the house has a mix of old RG6 and RG59. im not sure if the cable service is grounded or not

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
electricalperson said:
what kind of equipment do they use to detect leakages?

Get a hand held police scanner and tune to 145.25 which is ch 18 on CATV. Use it to try to find a strong signal. It's down and dirty but it will work. I have used a hand held ham radio on that frequency along with a home made directional antenna to locate a leak the CATV techs couldn't find a block from my home. Their fancy equipment got close, but couldn't zero in on it.

c2500

I had an issue with that many years ago before I became a contractor. The cable inspector was not pleased that I had a splitter concealed in the wall. He was telling me how it interferred with air traffic controllers talking to planes (I have never investigated whether that is true or not) On the bright side, they did not turn me off....except for the time they mistook my cable access with the neigbor who was stealing cable. Unfortunately when they turned me back on, the free HBO was gone.

c2500

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
c2500 said:
I had an issue with that many years ago before I became a contractor. The cable inspector was not pleased that I had a splitter concealed in the wall. He was telling me how it interferred with air traffic controllers talking to planes (I have never investigated whether that is true or not) On the bright side, they did not turn me off....except for the time they mistook my cable access with the neigbor who was stealing cable. Unfortunately when they turned me back on, the free HBO was gone.

c2500

Possible, but not likely. Air is in the 118-125 mHz range or so and is AM. They also have very strong signals. I live a few hundred feet from an airport. I also know the retired air traffic controller manager from that airport (a neighbor) and we have chatted about radio communications in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.