Cable TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok, for telephone I guess you can use a main line of 100 pair or larger to brink in your lines from a demarc location. How is the MAIN CATV brought in to say your head end equipment if say you have to feed 5o televisions? Just one RG-6?? THanks

hurk27

Ok, for telephone I guess you can use a main line of 100 pair or larger to brink in your lines from a demarc location. How is the MAIN CATV brought in to say your head end equipment if say you have to feed 5o televisions? Just one RG-6?? THanks

I like to use RG-11, it has a larger band pass

I have RG-11 from the pole to my grounding block by the service, then Rg-11 in to my splitter by my panel in my garage, then RG-6 to each point of use.

try not to daisy chain your spliters, as this increases the loss, I always try to split just once.

Also cable now requires 2-way spliters so the cable box can talk back to the head end, internet has always required two-way.

Last edited:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I like to use RG-11, it has a larger band pass

I have RG-11 from the pole to my grounding block by the service, then Rg-11 in to my splitter by my panel in my garage, then RG-6 to each point of use.

try not to daisy chain your spliters, as this increases the loss, I always try to split just once.

Also cable now requires 2-way spliters so the cable box can talk back to the head end, internet has always required two-way.

Thanks Hurk. What if you have a doem building or a building that required the hook up of about 100 tv's? Would it still be RG-11? THanks

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Installing a RG6/RG11 drop off a tap for 50 + TV's is a bad design. You would need to amp the crap out of the signal to make up for splitter and cable attenuation. Typically the CATV provider will install hard-line and taps within the building for larger installations. For very large installations they may install a fiber node at the building.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician

As long as the signal level is +10dBmV or so, Series 6 cable is just fine. The bandwidth of Series 6 is 1GHz, just as that of Series 11. With an input level of +10dBmV, a standard 34dB gain distribution amp, you can feed a ton of outlets.

As can be seen by the attachment, 128 outlets homerun 100' from the distribution splitters can be fed by 1 single series 6 cable going into the distribution amp no problem. As well as Series 6 cable to the outlets.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
I thought they were all two-way. Or have I just been getting lucky?

Splitters intended for off-air are 5-900MHz, while those made for CATV are 5-1000MHz and those marketed as being for satellite have a bandwidth of 5 or 15 or 40MHz-2GHz+. The return path for CATV is 5-42MHz.

The ones marketed for satellite are a waste of money as a stacked satellite system is the only type of satellite system that can use splitters, and those are/were found mainly in MDUs and commercial environments. SWM systems are an exception to that, but those splitters need to go down to 2MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.