Cables and/or conductors rated for wet locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

czarstoo

I seem to recall that the 2002 NEC contained a requirement for cables and/or conductors installed above ground and outside in a wet location (e.g. in conduit for an A/C compressor)to contain insultation rated for a wet environment, but I can't locate the reference. Can anyone identify the article??

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Cables and/or conductors rated for wet locations

I think that it only applied to underground locations. The one I am thinking of is 300.5(D)(5).
Don

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

This is from the handbook commentary on the definition of "location, wet".....(I know handbook = opinion)...

"It is intended that the inside of a raceway in a wet location or a raceway installed under ground be considered a wet location. Therefore, any conductors contained therein would be required to be suitable for wet locations."

That's why I don't understand all the fuss over raintight EMT connectors??

Steve

pierre

"That's why I don't understand all the fuss over raintight EMT connectors??"

Steve
I believe the concern is to keep to a minimum, the amount of water that may enter the equipment/box that is connected to the conduit. There will always be moisture (almost always) and the raintight fittings will reduce the amount of water that may enter the equipment/box.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Pierre,
I still don't understand the raintight EMT coupling issue because rigid couplings are less raintight then the old EMT compression couplings.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.