Cables from Tray to MCC

That Man

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Cables from MCC.png

Please refer to the attached image. I had originally designed cable transitions from an overhead tray to the roof of an MCC through a cable gland (left half of image). The cable is TC-ER rated. It sounds like the client is thinking of adding conduit sleeves out the top of the MCC like the right half of the image. Wouldn't those need support on the top end? The tray doesn't necessarily align with the entries, so there would be lots of instances where supporting directly off the tray wouldn't work.

Ragin Cajun

To make my previous clear, I stopped using conduitsa between the MCC's and cable trays.
I used TC-ER tray cable out a heat shrink gland at the top of the MCC and on up to the trays ~3' above.

That Man

Occupation
Electrical Designer
To make my previous clear, I stopped using conduitsa between the MCC's and cable trays.
I used TC-ER tray cable out a heat shrink gland at the top of the MCC and on up to the trays ~3' above.
Oh absolutely. Seems like a no brainer. But the client wants what the client wants ya know? I'm just wondering if it's somehow allowed to have sleeves out the top of an enclosure without supporting their tops. I've seen it done, but it sounds like it violates code, and was wondering if there was some exception that allows for it.