Caddy 4BRT32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flex

Im trying to figure out if there listed for use with MC. I see that the instructions say basically data cable but dont prohibit use with MC.

cadpoint

No, it's more like there playing along at home :wink:

I won't use that application, myself!

There's plenty of other Caddy products that would truely be a better app
but that's MO...

Flex

Told my foreman there not approved for use with mc, of course he says im wrong. Just trying to get some outside opinions or proof.

A lot of the straps and other securing means for cables are not listed.

Typically the .30 Section generally says:
shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable,...

The Caddy briddle rings you have linked to are not Listed. In the catalog it does not state the usage as seen on the link-page.
I would accept these briddle rings, just as I would the other commonly seen bridle rings, as long as the spacing is as per the code section per wiring method.

quogueelectric

Supported and secured seems sufficient for me and I have used them often they are not cheap. I have never been knocked down for using them. I have many times used them for temp and replaced the temp with permanent lighting and power. I personally like to finish permanant lighting first and hook the temp to it that way there is no wasted time on temp but it is not always easy to do this. You need someone who can read prints acurately.

billdozier

heres a bit of advice im trying to learn. Make the comment around two or three guys then do it your foremans way. This way you can back yourself up if the job fails. Do it his way even if you hate it. Trust me I know it stinks

quogueelectric

heres a bit of advice im trying to learn. Make the comment around two or three guys then do it your foremans way. This way you can back yourself up if the job fails. Do it his way even if you hate it. Trust me I know it stinks

Diplomacy............... its not just for breakfast anymore.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Bridle rings are mentioned explicitly in the NEC. I don't see how someone can prohibit them from being used.

310.15(B)(2) Adjustment Factors.
(a) More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors in a Raceway or Cable. Where the number of current-carrying conductors in a raceway or cable exceeds three, or where single conductors or multiconductor cables are installed without maintaining spacing for a continuous length longer than 600 mm (24 in.) and are not installed in raceways, the allowable ampacity of each conductor shall be reduced as shown in Table 310.15(B)(2)(a). Each current-carrying conductor of a paralleled set of conductors shall be counted as a current-carrying conductor.
FPN No. 1: See Annex B, Table B.310.11, for adjustment factors for more than three current-carrying conductors in a raceway or cable with load diversity.
FPN No. 2: See 366.23(A) for adjustment factors for conductors in sheet metal auxiliary gutters and 376.22(B) for adjustment factors for conductors in metal wireways.
Exception No. 1: Where conductors of different systems, as provided in 300.3, are installed in a common raceway or cable, the derating factors shown in Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) shall apply only to the number of power and lighting conductors (Articles 210, 215, 220, and 230).
Exception No. 2: For conductors installed in cable trays, the provisions of 392.11 shall apply.
Exception No. 3: Derating factors shall not apply to conductors in nipples having a length not exceeding 600 mm (24 in.).
Exception No. 4: Derating factors shall not apply to underground conductors entering or leaving an outdoor trench if those conductors have physical protection in the form of rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, or rigid nonmetallic conduit having a length not exceeding 3.05 m (10 ft) and if the number of conductors does not exceed four.
Exception No. 5: Adjustment factors shall not apply to Type AC cable or to Type MC cable without an overall outer jacket under the following conditions:
(1) Each cable has not more than three current-carrying conductors.
(2) The conductors are 12 AWG copper.
(3) Not more than 20 current-carrying conductors are bundled, stacked, or supported on ?bridle rings.?

Flex

(3) Not more than 20 current-carrying conductors are bundled, stacked, or supported on “bridle rings.”

Can the NEC allow a use that the manufacturer doesn't list their product for?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
(3) Not more than 20 current-carrying conductors are bundled, stacked, or supported on “bridle rings.”

Can the NEC allow a use that the manufacturer doesn't list their product for?

Are holes in metal or wood studs listed for support of cables? You see where this is going. ;)

btharmy

Done it and seen it done lots. Ive even seen the mc tie wrapped to the bridle ring so they are around the outside and not bundled. Are they listed? I guess they are listed for cable support, who says it has to be cat5 cable and not MC cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.