cage covers on florence ligts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know what code reference there is for putting cages on floresent work lights? I remember years ago we used coated bulbs, But I coud not find a reference in the code that required the use of cages on shop lights.
Thank You

John120/240

I do not know of any code requirement for a cage around florescent fixture. Tube guard /shatter shield should be adequate for most applications. A cage might be preferred for a gymnasium tho.

kwired

Electron manager
see NEC 410.12 410.97??
Those sections are for combustible materials in relation to the luminaire, which could apply to the OP, but at same time a "cage" doesn't provide much of a barrier from falling hot particles like a lens or diffuser. A cage is more for protection from physical abuse. There are cases where the lamp needs to be guarded but I am not aware of a "cage" being the required method anywhere in the NEC, and some instances something more enclosed/self containing is required by NEC.

greenspark1

I don't believe a cage guard is a NEC requirement, just good practice for some scenarios. I have seen requirements for tube guards (plastic sleeves) in places like industrial kitchens where broken glass would be a big hazard. I believe the US government also doesn't allow bare tubes, some sort of guard or cover is required.

If you're talking about a handheld work light, I am sure the NEC doesn't speak to it. But another agency might.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't believe a cage guard is a NEC requirement, just good practice for some scenarios. I have seen requirements for tube guards (plastic sleeves) in places like industrial kitchens where broken glass would be a big hazard. I believe the US government also doesn't allow bare tubes, some sort of guard or cover is required.

If you're talking about a handheld work light, I am sure the NEC doesn't speak to it. But another agency might.
Food processing areas typically do require a containment method for broken lamps, as well as other processing that requires sanitary conditions, like pharmaceutical products. These are not NEC requirements they are requirements by regulating agencies that are associated with those industries. A wire cage will not contain a broken lamp. Tube guards do not prevent the lamp from breaking but the idea is to contain all of the lamp within the guard if it does break. The best solution that has become more popular is teflon coated lamps - usually called shatter resistant lamps. The lamp can still break but the contents remain inside the teflon coating when it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.