Calculating available fault current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
In the process of labeling disconnects and service equipment for my company at a mine, I noticed no label for available fault current.

Some equations online say to get KVA from transformer and divide by voltage X (1.732 if 3 phase) X Z (impedance)

Others say to Omit z out of equation above use Z as a multiplier to KVA/ volts x 1.732

Z = 100/(Z x plus or minus percent or 0.9)

Therefore the way mike holt showed this is different from the last method

Can I just multiply divisor bottom fraction by impedance shown on transformer name plate? Additionally I’m working on single phase so i won’t be factoring in 1.732. Nor do I know how to factor in service or feeder impedance yet

What is the easiest formula? Thanks

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Using the infinite bus model on the transformer primary:

Available Fault Current (AFC) in kA at a three phase utility transformer secondary = (kVA)(100) / (sqrt(3))(V line to line)(%Z)

I have verified this using data from a chart of transformer kVA, %Z, and AFC given me by my local utility.

HEYDOG

Available Fault Current (AFC) in kA at a three phase utility transformer secondary = (kVA)(100) / (sqrt(3))(V line to line)(%Z)

I have verified this using data from a chart of transformer kVA, %Z, and AFC given me by my local utility.
In the process of labeling disconnects and service equipment for my company at a mine, I noticed no label for available fault current.

Some equations online say to get KVA from transformer and divide by voltage X (1.732 if 3 phase) X Z (impedance)

Others say to Omit z out of equation above use Z as a multiplier to KVA/ volts x 1.732

Can I just multiply divisor bottom fraction by impedance shown on transformer name plate? Additionally I’m working on single phase so i won’t be factoring in 1.732. Nor do I know how to factor in service or feeder impedance yet

Here is a link to short circuit calculations. https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...nter/bus-ele-tech-lib-electrical-formulas.pdf

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Also I do go off final step down transformer feeding breaker panel Prior to making calculations but not those Upstream closer to utility but still on company site?

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician

Make sure your label says maximum available fault current since you're using the infinite primary method. Available fault current would require a Power Study that gets contribution information from the Utility for the fault current analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.