calculating lumens/sq ft

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.E.S.

Can someone please direct me to the best NEC article regarding lumen calculations for commercial buildings. Need to calculate how many high-bay lights in a 23,125 sq ft wrecking yard facility. Thanks

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
This is not covered by the NEC, it would be a building code issue.

Ron Stadtman

Gentlemen, I am new here so if I miss any protocal please let me know. I forget where I got the information but I set up an excel sheet based on the following.

PERFORMANCE BASED ILLUMINATION

Formula: Total Coverage Area = cd/Lumin
Actual Coverage Area = Square Root of Total Coverage.

Device Required Total Sqr Root of Coverage =
Candela Lumin Coverage sq' Coverage in Feet
15 0.0375 400 20.0 X 20.0
30 0.0375 800 28.3 X 28.3
60 0.0375 1600 40.0 X 40.0
75 0.0375 2000 44.7 X 44.7
95 0.0375 2533 50.3 X 50.3
110 0.0375 2933 54.2 X 54.2

Please note that all fire alarm ceiling mount strobes I know of are only rated for .0375 lumin at 80" off the floor upto 30' in the air.

220wire

Can someone please direct me to the best NEC article regarding lumen calculations for commercial buildings. Need to calculate how many high-bay lights in a 23,125 sq ft wrecking yard facility. Thanks

I would ask your outside sales person to call the lighting rep he's going to supply you with

P.E.S.

Thanks!

Thanks!

I thought that I had read somewhere in Nec about minimum lumen requirements for certain spaces, but maybe it was through local autority, because I couldnt find it. Thanks

Lcdrwalker

Take a look in the back of a lighting manufacturers catalogue. They usually have a section on ballasts and lighting level standards according to IEEE. A warehouse should be in the neighborhood of about 35. You can take the data from the fixture and divide it by the area to get the level. Your salesman should be able to take the layout and give you a computer printout showing you the locations and quantities for the light level you want.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Website to do it for you

* Square footage of area to be lit:
* Desired footcandles:
* Average number of hours on per year:
* Watts per fixture:
* Number of lamps per fixture:
* Rated mean lumen per lamp:
* Ballast factor (BF):
* Coefficient of Utilization (CU):
* Your electric cost per kilowatt hour: $

Status
Not open for further replies.