Calculating single phase KVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon1544

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I removed 2 spot welders that were 480 volts single phase. Need to reinstall them in another location. One is 50 and the other is 150 KVA at 50% duty cycle. My question is, do you calculate it as single phase or 3 phase. Technically your pulling 2 legs from a 3 phase panel. Yet I removed 250 amp fuses and 4/0 wire at 90 degree which is rated for 260 amps for the 150 KVA. Yet if you calculate it as single phase you need at least 312.5 amps. KVA x 1000 divided by supply voltage. Divide that by 1.732 for 3 phase. Is there a different formula, or am I correct that the wire and fuses are undersized.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't know what impact "duty cycle" has on branch circuit or fuse sizing. But if the two welders each take 2 legs from a 3-phase system, you calculate each as single phase. I agree that 150 KVA at 480V single phase corresponds to 312.5 amps. You don't bring the 1.732 into the equations until you start counting up loads on the upstream panel. These two welders will draw 200 KVA, which equates to about 240 amps on the 3 phase panel. But you need to recognize that there will be an unbalanced loading condition (unless there are other significant loads to help with the overall balance).

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Everything mentioned above sound correct to me. The welders however are nothing more than transformers basically. Ifthey never use full output they will never need full input. Suppose they should be wired to the code though.

Maybe talk to the welder MFG. 50% duty cycle will allow the wires to cool and see if there is any additional info on the nameplate

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Actually a duty cycle of 50% will allow wire to be 71% of the nameplate according to table 630.11A for a non motor generator. 150 kva = 221.9 amps. 50 kva= 74 amps

Jon1544

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
The data plate says 50 and 150 KVA at 50% duty cycle for the 2 different welders. Both come out of same panel, 600 amp main, which is fed directly from a 750 KVA Transformer.

topgone

The data plate says 50 and 150 KVA at 50% duty cycle for the 2 different welders. Both come out of same panel, 600 amp main, which is fed directly from a 750 KVA Transformer.
My calculations tell me that your circuit breaker size of 600A is correct!
The line currents I got from two, single-phase welders (50kVA and 150kVA at 50% duty cycle, actually a 50 and 106 effective kVA ) are:
Ia = 107.7A;
Ib = 287.4A; and
Ic = 220.8A.
You will have to take 287.4A as your highest current and choose a 200% CB, which is 287 X 2 ~ 600A.

Status
Not open for further replies.