Calculating Transformer size for upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdCampbell

Occupation
Maintenance Technician
Hi,

Can anyone out there help me. We are in the process of upgrading the transformer that feeds our plant & I have the awesome task of having to calculate more or less what is the right size. I have a list of all my present and future loads loads which are a mixture of 3, single and bi phase. Ok what I did was this. Added up all the single phase (110 v) loads, then I added the 220 bi phase loads. I then divided this by three to give me a more or less 3 phase load. Then I added this figure to the 3 phase loads and then calculated my full load current. Just to give me a bit of a real idea I then took the final figure and multiplied it by 80 %.

I calculated a transformer of about 300 kva other people who are I may contract to do the work have calculated about 225 kva.

Is the method correct? (I need an answer quite urgently.) I am based in Mexico.

If you want I can send you my list of loads they are in Kw and hp.

Please can you contact me directly at

(Moderator’s Note: Edited to remove email address. If you wish to send an email message to this person, then first send a Private Message via this Forum, and ask for the email address.)

Thanks for your help,

Ed Campbell

Last edited by a moderator:

jtester

The easiest way is to work in KW or KVA. You just add up the loads, single phase120+biphase+3phase and them convert to amps by dividing by voltage x 1.732.

If you aren't governed by the NEC, you'll find this method sometimes produces too large a total load since it assumes that all loads are on simultaneously. There may be room for some diversity.

Jim T

Status
Not open for further replies.