calculation current 208v question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chstech

I am in the US and have a device that according to its documentation it uses 16amps total @ 208v
My supply is 3 phase 120v/208v, and the device wiring is X=HOT, Y=HOT, Z=GROUND

I am looking for clarification on how that current is distributed on the supply lines.
I understand that the voltage may vary and that will change the actually load or current on each leg.
BUT in talking about this theoretically which is correct:

A: X= 8amps, Y= 8amps, Z= 0amps

B: X= 16amps, Y= 16amps, Z= 0amps

Thanks,
Drew

NewtonLaw

Device Seems to be single phase 208 so ....

Device Seems to be single phase 208 so ....

The device seems to be a single phase 208 volt device drawing 16 amps at full load. If so, any two phases of the 208Y/120 volt supply will correctly operate the device and each phase will carry 16 amps. The ground is an equipment safety ground and should not carry any current. Hope this helps.

chstech

The device seems to be a single phase 208 volt device drawing 16 amps at full load. If so, any two phases of the 208Y/120 volt supply will correctly operate the device and each phase will carry 16 amps. The ground is an equipment safety ground and should not carry any current. Hope this helps.

to confirm i should NOT be splitting the total amp draw 16 amps as 8/8 and i should not be adding it as 16+16=32
thanks!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
to confirm i should NOT be splitting the total amp draw 16 amps as 8/8 and i should not be adding it as 16+16=32
thanks!

Yes. A 208V 8A load will draw current from one ungrounded phase conductor and returning it on another ungrounded phase conductor. It is a series circuit, so you measure the same 8A in both places.

Status
Not open for further replies.