Calculation for determining available watts per square foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

cipmaint

I have been asked to provide a prospective tenant with an estimate of the available total watts per square foot in a finished telecommunications room in an office complex. There are 9 separate 20 amp single phase circuits (one outlet each) and 1 - 30 amp 240 volt outlet inside the room. What is the formula?

Bob NH

cipmaint said:
I have been asked to provide a prospective tenant with an estimate of the available total watts per square foot in a finished telecommunications room in an office complex. There are 9 separate 20 amp single phase circuits (one outlet each) and 1 - 30 amp 240 volt outlet inside the room. What is the formula?
Volts x Amps = Watts if the power factor is 1.0.

9x20x120 + 30x240 = 28,800 Watts. BUT:

you should probably figure that not more than 80 percent is available for connected load and the user may have trouble balancing his load that well.

Also, the feeder supplying the circuits may have a lower limit. How many Amps is the feeder? How many Amps is the service? How many more tenants will be using the service or feeder?

I'm sure you can divide by square feet.

celtic

I would think what is available is not nearly as important as what is required by the NEC and what is desired by the prospective tenant

Status
Not open for further replies.