calculation of Electrical Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
190121-0925 EST

berad:

Consider only two terminal devices as the load.

For any type of load the instantaneous power is p = e*i , where p = instantaneous power, and can be +, -, or 0.

Any other power is some sort of an average. And to perform simple calculations the load needs to be made up of linear components that are invariant in all ways with time.

For a simple resistive load P = V*I where P = average real power in watts, V = Vrms voltage in volts * Irms current in amperes. Applies to AC sine waves or DC. These measurements V and I do not need to be time correlated, but must be invariant with time. So the same multimeter could be used to make the two measurements.

If the load has reactive components, inductance, and/or capacitance, then a power factor multiplier between 0 and 1 must be included in the equation. A perfect capacitor has a PF = 0, and some real world capacitors are close to this.

A real electromechanical wattmeter measures real average power by instantaneous multiplication being done with two interacting magnetic fields, and averaged by the mechanical inertia of the meter movement, and calibration by a non-linear scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.