California AB 2143 requires prevailing wage on all commercial Net Metered projects over 15kw

coop3339

California AB 2143 requires prevailing wage on all commercial Net Metered projects over 15kw starting 1/1/2024.

Does anyone know if this extends to maintenance and repair of the systems after construction? If so, does this also apply to the maintenance and repairs of systems already installed that are commercial Net Metered projects over 15kw?

coop3339

A net metered project is one that is installed behind the electrical meter for a facility. If the solar makes more power than can be used in the facility at that time it actually spins the meter backwards removing kWh.

They further confuse this point by stating that it applies to systems that are eligible for net metering. This is an overly broad statement and could be interpreted to include systems that are actually not net metered...

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Looking at the actual text...

Subsection (b) refers to a contract to 'perform work', which seems broadly written to include maintenance and repair. (As opposed to, say 'construct'.)

However subsection (a) refers to a 'facility that receives service' under the net metering or net billing tarriff (if I understand correctly that that is section 2871.1). So I don't understand where you're getting the 'eligible' part in your second post. Who is saying that?

jaggedben

Occupation
If I'm reading correctly, the law might not apply to maintenence or repair if the facility was completely constructed before the end of this year. For maintenence I think that would be pretty clear, but repair could get fuzzy because when does that turn into construction. I would definitely consult a lawyer on that one wrinkle, there may be case law.

I mean, consult a lawyer on the whole thing anyway. Paying for the 1-hour consultation you need is vastly less than the wages or penalties at stake.

coop3339

Looking at the actual text...

Subsection (b) refers to a contract to 'perform work', which seems broadly written to include maintenance and repair. (As opposed to, say 'construct'.)

However subsection (a) refers to a 'facility that receives service' under the net metering or net billing tarriff (if I understand correctly that that is section 2871.1). So I don't understand where you're getting the 'eligible' part in your second post. Who is saying that?
I was looking at old notes from a hearing before the law was passed. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for finding that

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
What little I heard about this was in regards to "public works" projects. I just did a quick read on that link, are they saying that any commercial project is automatically a "public works" project if it's net production results in feeding the grid?? Crazy...

jaggedben

Occupation
What little I heard about this was in regards to "public works" projects. I just did a quick read on that link, are they saying that any commercial project is automatically a "public works" project if it's net production results in feeding the grid?? Crazy...
Yes, that is pretty much exactly the way the law was written. And it is crazy.