California Electrical Cert for I.A.T.S. Electricians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
I know I'm inviting ridicule by asking this question-- I don't care--and am asking anyway:
I have literally 8 or 10,000 hours working under C-10 contractors in the entertainment industry (movies, concerts, trade shows) but was told that those hours don't count toward qualifying for an electrical certification in California.
A) HOW did these C-10 contractors that have now and always done ONLY entertainment power get their Certifications and Licensing and/or become C-10s?
B) How do I, having performed over 15 years of actual electrical work (not lighting), qualify for any Cal State Cert? I know I can pass the test!

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
First, Who told you that the hours don't count?
2nd, if you worked for cash and or don't have any record of being paid as an electrician, then the state "may" not count the hours.

First, Who told you that the hours don't count?
2nd, if you worked for cash and or don't have any record of being paid as an electrician, then the state "may" not count the hours.

Hi Edward. Thanks for the response.
I contacted the CA Dept of Industrial Relations at ECUINFO@dir.ca.gov, as per the website. I asked if my hours as an electrician in my industry/craft (I.A.T.S.E.) and my hours before as an electrician for trade shows and in a shop (ALL under C-10s) would count toward qualifying for state exam. Their response was that hours worked in entertainment, trade shows, film and TV, Theater are NOT applicable toward qualification for State Electrical Exam. And ALL of those hours (probably over 10K) are/were on the books. So I am a little confused. Like I said, all of those hours were worked under a C-10 and I thought they'd at least be applicable to one or more of the categories set out by the state to qualify.
If you know more than me about this, please help? I'm looking to transition out of the entertainment industry and into Solar or Generator installation.

Thanks Again,
Matthew

Todd0x1

Hi Edward. Thanks for the response.
I contacted the CA Dept of Industrial Relations at ECUINFO@dir.ca.gov, as per the website. I asked if my hours as an electrician in my industry/craft (I.A.T.S.E.) and my hours before as an electrician for trade shows and in a shop (ALL under C-10s) would count toward qualifying for state exam. Their response was that hours worked in entertainment, trade shows, film and TV, Theater are NOT applicable toward qualification for State Electrical Exam. And ALL of those hours (probably over 10K) are/were on the books. So I am a little confused. Like I said, all of those hours were worked under a C-10 and I thought they'd at least be applicable to one or more of the categories set out by the state to qualify.
If you know more than me about this, please help? I'm looking to transition out of the entertainment industry and into Solar or Generator installation.

Thanks Again,
Matthew

I think they take the position that experience in setting up portable power isn't the same as 'regular' journeyman experience even through you were working under C10.

Status
Not open for further replies.