CALIFORNIA ENERGY COMMISSION - Power Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I am not an expert on utilities power generation, but does the attached questions an answers to system operators handling of a power emergency sound right ?

Attachments

• TN249385_20230321T223121_Steve Uhler Comments - OIR-2021-01 General Questions, Section 3986 of...pdf
    553.3 KB · Views: 22

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The document has nothing to do with 'system operators handling of a power emergency'. It's about how retail generation providers account for the sources of electricity on an annual bases. Energy not power.

As descriptions of electrical engineering concepts and physics, the bold answers in the document make sense, yes.

Whether those comments can sensibly be applied to the rulemaking at stake is a different question which would require a helluva lot more context.

mtnelect

Occupation
The document has nothing to do with 'system operators handling of a power emergency'. It's about how retail generation providers account for the sources of electricity on an annual bases. Energy not power.

As descriptions of electrical engineering concepts and physics, the bold answers in the document make sense, yes.

Whether those comments can sensibly be applied to the rulemaking at stake is a different question which would require a helluva lot more context.

Thank you for taking the time to review the document. I thought Electronic Meters could not register Power Factor.

mtnelect

Occupation

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
Yeah, or they might just lay the power line on the ocean floor from here to Morro Bay. The funny thing would be that if it goes that way we won't see any of that renewable energy getting used here, all our local power will continue to be produced by burning natural gas... All while locals are pushing for electrification and "gas bans". Very sad...

jaggedben

Occupation
Yeah, or they might just lay the power line on the ocean floor from here to Morro Bay. The funny thing would be that if it goes that way we won't see any of that renewable energy getting used here, all our local power will continue to be produced by burning natural gas... All while locals are pushing for electrification and "gas bans". Very sad...
Kind of, kind of not. Once the power is on the grid it's not all that easy to tell where it comes from and where it goes. It will all still be in Cal ISO, right?

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
Kind of, kind of not. Once the power is on the grid it's not all that easy to tell where it comes from and where it goes. It will all still be in Cal ISO, right?
Yeah, sort of I think. Apparently we have been "Islanded" meaning they have separated us from the rest of the grid, but I think it's only some of the time. The connections from here to the rest of the state are relatively small.

mtnelect

Occupation
Thank you for the information. I think it was upper state New Jersey, where they cut a 1/4-mile-wide strip through virgin forest to get power from Canada to their power center(s). Sounds like that is what they will need to do.
Got the wrong location !

CMP’s proposal would cut 53 miles of new line through undeveloped parts of Maine’s North Woods. The damage would fragment the largest contiguous temperate forest in North America and perhaps the world. This destruction would clear trees and plants through 263 wetlands, across 115 streams, and near remote Beattie Pond.

mtnelect

Occupation
Central Maine Power (CMP) is proposing to build a 145-mile transmission line through the heart of Maine to send hydropower from Quebec to electricity customers in Massachusetts.

jaggedben

Occupation
Yeah, sort of I think. Apparently we have been "Islanded" meaning they have separated us from the rest of the grid, but I think it's only some of the time. The connections from here to the rest of the state are relatively small.
According to the map I found Humboldt county has three has three transmission lines linking to the rest of the state. Islanding seems like something that would happen only in a rare emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.