Can a non-patient care area share a circuit with patient care area (&not have med wir

Status
Not open for further replies.

donw

Can a non-patient care area share a circuit with patient care area (&not have med wir

I saw a set of plans recently that had a non patient care area adjacent to a patient care area, and the same receptacle circuit fed both areas. Their was a note requiring medical wiring methods in the patient care area but not in the adjacent area. I've always kept these circuits separate, but looking at 517.13, I don't see that you would have to, as long as all wiring in the path from the receptacles in the patient care area all the way back to the panel had the redundant (and shielded) ground wire or metallic conduit. What do you all think? This was in one of those 4 story medical buildings with shared panels, so circuit breakers were at a premium.

kwired

Electron manager
If you have "general use outlets" in the room, they still must meet certain requirements because they are serving a patient care area but don't necessarily have limitations on what else can be on the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.