Can a Siemens combination AFCI breaker be used in a GE Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
They may fit but they aren't listed for anything but a Siemens or Murray panel.
Well sort of. You can find other products out there like meter-mains and power pedestals and power outlet assemblies by Milbank or Midwest or possibly others that will have branch breaker spaces and will list various breakers such as Siemens, Eaton BR, GE and Square D Homeline as acceptable breakers to install in them.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Well sort of. You can find other products out there like meter-mains and power pedestals and power outlet assemblies by Milbank or Midwest or possibly others that will have branch breaker spaces and will list various breakers such as Siemens, Eaton BR, GE and Square D Homeline as acceptable breakers to install in them.
OP specifically asked about a GE panel.

Stuff

Occupation
Engineer
Just to confuse things Siemens for a while produced AFCI breakers for GE. They looked the same as Siemens and Murray versions but were marked with GE labeling. Only with the labeling (listing) could you use them in a GE panel.

techmavin

They fit. But on opening the panel I found the 2 breakers I wanted to replace were connected to a NM 12/3 with a shared neutral. Only GE AFCI breakers work with shared neutrals. Siemens trip.

techmavin

GE’s Patented Discrete Wavelet Transform Algorithm allows for accurate response to abnormalities in a circuit’s waveform caused by arcing conditions, without the need for a clean neutral return path. Unlike other brands, the neutral load lug provided on the GE AFCI breaker is there simply for your wiring convenience, and is purely optional. For new construction you have the option of returning the neutral wire to the breaker or simply to the neutral bar (as space allows).

Stuff

Occupation
Engineer
Technically it is GFPE level protection. If it were GFCI level protection they are calling them dual function breakers. And yes GE has passed listing requirements without using any GFPE in their units.
Yes, I mis-worded that. Do you know if they set GFPE at 30ma or something else?

Stuff

Occupation
Engineer
They fit. But on opening the panel I found the 2 breakers I wanted to replace were connected to a NM 12/3 with a shared neutral. Only GE AFCI breakers work with shared neutrals. Siemens trip.
I got off on a tangent. Siemens, CH, and SqD all make 2 pole AFCI breakers to cover the shared neutral case. Dual function 2 pole are still MIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.