Can commerical kitchen equipment use 220.56 DF and then use 220.44 DF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am confused by your question. Yes commercial kitchens can use the demand factor in T. 250.56 but 220.44 is for receptacles.

Yes corded appliances are considered kitchen equipment if it is in the kitchen. Again not sure where you are going with this

kwired

Electron manager
Keep in mind the words in 220.56 - "These demand factors shall be applied to all equipment that has either thermostatic control or intermittent use as kitchen equipment"

I think 220.56 is intended for specific equipment that is either permanently wired or at least has individual circuit run to it.

220.44 I believe is more for general purpose receptacles where the specific load is undetermined. So in a non dwelling kitchen a general use receptacle that gets various items plugged into it from time to time could have 220.44 apply to it's portion of service or feeder load. A receptacle that is intended to supply a specific appliance however would have to follow 220.56 for any allowable demand factor.

fandi

I am confused by your question. Yes commercial kitchens can use the demand factor in T. 250.56 but 220.44 is for receptacles.

Yes corded appliances are considered kitchen equipment if it is in the kitchen. Again not sure where you are going with this

The reason I asked this question because the engineer applied the demand factor from T.250.66 and then applied the demand factor 220.44 again to further reduce the load. To me, it's one or another, not both. This is regarding plugged/corded non dwelling kitchen equipment.

lielec11

The reason I asked this question because the engineer applied the demand factor from T.250.66 and then applied the demand factor 220.44 again to further reduce the load. To me, it's one or another, not both. This is regarding plugged/corded non dwelling kitchen equipment.

At the moment I can't find the reference but I don't believe you can double dip when it comes to demand factors. I agree with your assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.