Can Em lighting power and normal Lighting power be in same conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

PETEL

Occupation
Inside wireman
So we are installing a inverter that will be feed with its own 20 amp circuit from our lighting panel , Then I will use another circuit for line in to the inverter I’m just wondering if the load out can it be in the same conduit as my normal lighting power ?

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
If the circuit from the inverter supplies emergency lights, it cannot be on the same raceway as the circuit that supplies power to the inverter. The circuit that supplies the inverter is a normal power circuit, and the circuit from the inverter to the EM lights is an emergency circuit. EM circuits can not be in the same raceway as emergency circuits. NEC 700.10(B)

PETEL

Occupation
Inside wireman
The circuit dose supply em fixtures and exit signs but the power that’s supply is in its separate conduit from the em circuit but I have regular fixture am I allowed to send constant power from lighting panel with load of inverter is my question ? It’s kinda hard to explain I’ve looked threw the nec but there’s not one that states that if it’s code to my exact application iam doing I’ve seen people do it and it’s passes but I’ve also seen people do it and it didn’t but that was because it was from a generator not a inverter

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I cant give you a reference code as others have above, but the rule of thumb has always been separate panels use separate conduits except at the 1 point were individual systems come together at the 1 point of utilization, exit sign - emergency light ect ..

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Here is the full code section. (2017 NEC)

(B) Wiring. Wiring of two or more emergency circuits supplied from the same source shall be permitted in the same raceway, cable, box, or cabinet. Wiring from an emergency source or emergency source distribution overcurrent protection to emergency loads shall be kept entirely independent of all other wiring and equipment, unless otherwise permitted in 700.10(B)(1) through (5):

(1) Wiring from the normal power source located in transfer equipment enclosures

(2) Wiring supplied from two sources in exit or emergency luminaires

(3) Wiring from two sources in a listed load control relay supplying exit or emergency luminaires, or in a common junction box, attached to exit or emergency luminaires

(4) Wiring within a common junction box attached to unit equipment, containing only the branch circuit supplying
the unit equipment and the emergency circuit supplied by the unit equipment

(5) Wiring from an emergency source to supply emergency and other (nonemergency) loads in accordance with 700.10(B)(5)a., b., c., and d. as follows:

a. Separate vertical switchgear sections or separate vertical switchboard sections, with or without a common bus, or individual disconnects mounted in separate enclosures shall be used to separate emergency loads from all other loads.

b. The common bus of separate sections of the switchgear, separate sections of the switchboard, or the individual enclosures shall be either of the following:
(i) Supplied by single or multiple feeders without overcurrent protection at the source
(ii) Supplied by single or multiple feeders with overcurrent protection, provided that the overcurrent protection that is common to an emergency system and any non-emergency system(s) is selectively coordinated with the next downstream overcurrent protective device in the nonemergency system(s)

Informational Note: For further information, see Informational Note Figure 700.10(B)(5)(b)(1) and Informational Note Figure 700.10(B)(5)(b)(2).

c. Emergency circuits shall not originate from the same vertical switchgear section, vertical switchboard section, panelboard enclosure, or individual disconnect enclosure as other circuits.

d. It shall be permissible to utilize single or multiple feeders to supply distribution equipment between an emergency source and the point where the emergency loads are separated from all other loads

Status
Not open for further replies.