Can fire alarm cable be used for other LV purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for #14/2 solid, color-coded black and red, and twisted into a pair to power 48VDC telecom equipment and basically, it seems I have two choices:

Buy a roll of red THHN and a roll of black THHN and twist them together OR use #14 fire alarm cable and strip the jacket.

Is the second option legal?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can't imagine it's an issue to use a product that is overrated for your use.

They have "DC" NM with red and black in Canada, eh?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
How much do you need? I've had Power and Tel Supply (the old Clifford of Vermont) twist up #18 stranded TFFN in black and red for Class 1 speaker wiring. I needed 2000 feet on two reels but they will probably do a 1000' reel for you and the price is very reasonable.

If you only need lengths so short that you would consider stripping some jacketed cable yeah, you really ought to buy a spool of red and black and use your cordless drill.

-Hal

nhfire77

I would say this is similar to the Romex conductor debate. Technically the individual conductors are not labeled THHN. Mostly, it's understood that's it's the same material. Some may disagree, but that is for another thread.

It would depend on what the fire wire is, most FA cable does not have the individual conductors labeled, but I believe they are TFN, or someThing similar. If it's in pipe I wouldn't give it a second thought, unless you think someone will check and give you a problem.

If you have cmg, cmr, cmp (which are acceptable subistitutes for fpl,fplr,fplp) use that.

Any CL2 or CL3 cable should do, IMO.

Actually, Larry, the jacket on the alarm cable does not HAVE to be stripped, but, I figure it adds unnecessary thickness in the rack. Plus, with that bright red jacket and FPLR marking, someone might get the idea it's connected to a fire alarm! That's the part I think could be a violation.

Thank you for suggesting Clifford of Vermont. I forgot they do custom work.

dhalleron

Is the fire alarm cable you plan to use power limited or non power limited? Your application would most likely be a non power limited use.

You can get fire alarm cable in colors other than red. And you can get it in either power limited or non power limited.

I would not strip the covering off of the cable except for when it enters a junction or terminal box.

I believe the other communications type cables that nhfire77 suggested are for power limited use only although there could be a non power limited version that I am not aware of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.