Can i do this

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Attached sketch has AC PV disco and Building Service Disco.

The GEC from Building Service Disco go to building electrode system. The GEC from AC PV disco gets bonded to the building service disco GEC.

Is the sketch allowable per NEC 2014?
f388e09d0d6cd4f30c0f6fa9cd93e6b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Attached sketch not upside down.

AHJ is mute about this matter. Any thoughts, experience or opinions appreciated including what 2020 has to say post #1.

Question is can I bond AC solar disco GEC with the GEC of building service disco as shown in sketch?

822dbd699ed5963baba92bccd769f29c.jpg

Last edited:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
2020 I believe is going to prohibit a N-G bond in the solar disco and require a supply side bonding jumper back to the main disco. It changed between the first and second draft.

But I would say that under 2014 and any other code besides 2020, you can treat them like you would multiple service disconnects, if the AHJ doesn't have an opinion.

BandGap1.1eV

Best practices dictate a N-G bond only at one location, the main service disconnect. While we design and treat the solar disconnect as a service disconnect, it's not considered a "service".

Bond the solar EGC to the main service EGC at the service entrance but leave neutral unbonded in the PV disconnect.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Best practices dictate a N-G bond only at one location, the main service disconnect. While we design and treat the solar disconnect as a service disconnect, it's not considered a "service".

Bond the solar EGC to the main service EGC at the service entrance but leave neutral unbonded in the PV disconnect.
You are saying something like the attached sketch?
344c4c8c9db6ed7b361244d35cf2b340.jpg

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
2020 I believe is going to prohibit a N-G bond in the solar disco and require a supply side bonding jumper back to the main disco. It changed between the first and second draft.

But I would say that under 2014 and any other code besides 2020, you can treat them like you would multiple service disconnects, if the AHJ doesn't have an opinion.
Whwre can I find the latest 2020 draft?

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician

I'll guess this is the 705/230 quagmire we've been hearing about

~RJ~

jaggedben

Occupation
I'll guess this is the 705/230 quagmire we've been hearing about

~RJ~

They just can't seem to get it right. I thought the first draft was basically fine. And then just when they finally decided to clarify things in 705, the other CMP went ahead and changed 230.71 and created new confusion.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I still was not able to find 2020 second draft found first draft though.

What is the proabability that second draft would be modified into something different i.e third draft? Can they still do that?

jaggedben

Occupation
Ok but 705.11(D) Grounding and Bonding from second draft apply to disconnecting means mentioned in 705.11(E). However 705.11(E) is about connections not about disconnecting means. No disconnecting means 705.11(E). Am I missing something?

You're missing that (D) refers to (F), not (E).

Status
Not open for further replies.