Can I never use a Can light again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

The thing is, I hate can lights. Don't like handling them, installing them, or worrying about air sealing them. But......overhead, low profile lighting has its place. What are some overhead "can-like" lighting systems that are better than cans themselves. I know a lot of them are out there. Has anyone been successful giving up cans completely?

thanks

sw_ross

I've been avoiding using them where I can. I especially hate the remodel cans.

using a "disk light" that resembles a can light and a 4" light box allows for a lot more placement options when you have mechanical ducts, plumbing obstructions and structural framing to deal with.

so far customers have been happy with them.
Usually when I'm doing a walk-through with a HO or contractor I'll take one of them with me to show them what I'm proposing so they understand what I'm talking about. I have one set up with an appliance cord whip that I can plug into an extension cord and hold it up so they get the feel of the light output.

I've been using a Prescolite. It's wet rated so I can use it above showers as well as other locations.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There are low-profile LED lights that resemble can lights that can be mounted on standard or pancake boxes, and some completely flush lights that require no box at all, just a hole in the drywall. Go to the orange or blue store near you and look in the LED retro-fit section.

MAC702

There are ... completely flush lights that require no box at all, just a hole in the drywall...

I just finished a house remodel job with these. The best part is layout requires no joist-finding and adjustments based on where the joists are. Put the lights wherever you want. Joist or no joist, the light is the thickness of the drywall. Can-light hole saw, fish cables, and go.

I just finished a house remodel job with these. The best part is layout requires no joist-finding and adjustments based on where the joists are. Put the lights wherever you want. Joist or no joist, the light is the thickness of the drywall. Can-light hole saw, fish cables, and go.

:thumbsup: can killers or rat traps is what I call them. Mostly all I use now.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Just installed one today myself.
I don’t use cans anymore either. Just a waste of space and effort. Your going to put an LED in there anyway..

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Ignorant Brit strikes again.
What is a "can light"?
A bulb in a beer can?
:)

kwired

Electron manager
Ignorant Brit strikes again.
What is a "can light"?
A bulb in a beer can?
:)

Close, more like a coffee can - when they used to be steel cans.

'Old school" recessed lighting fixtures used to be a housing that typically got installed before ceiling finish was applied field slang called this housing a "can". A trim and a lamp were installed in that housing after the ceiling was finished.

Similar housings are still around today, most are being trimmed with a unit that contains an LED lighting and driver, many older existing housings are being retrofitted with the same LED trim units. There are also "canless" versions on the market more recently. I have found those canless versions cost around the same as the conventional housing plus the LED retrofit trim and have gone with the canless versions for the past year or so.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Close, more like a coffee can - when they used to be steel cans.

'Old school" recessed lighting fixtures used to be a housing that typically got installed before ceiling finish was applied field slang called this housing a "can". A trim and a lamp were installed in that housing after the ceiling was finished.

Similar housings are still around today, most are being trimmed with a unit that contains an LED lighting and driver, many older existing housings are being retrofitted with the same LED trim units. There are also "canless" versions on the market more recently. I have found those canless versions cost around the same as the conventional housing plus the LED retrofit trim and have gone with the canless versions for the past year or so.
Thank you kindly, young fellow. We have these....

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I avoid those “disk lights”; it’s a personal preference. I think recessed lighting that doesn’t directly show the light source is far more appealing aesthetically.

I have used them only when absolutely necessary due to existing framing.

I like a specular reflector or deep baffle trim. What I like even more are trimless downlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
halo-recessed-lighting-housings-h7ict-64_1000.jpg

https://youtu.be/lFmhRLiYho0
:rotflmao:~RJ~:rotflmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.