Can I put a 20 amp receptacle on a 30 amp circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I am installing a residential clothes dryer (4 wire) in an industrial setting. There will be another small 120 Volt device next to it, but there isn’t room in the conduit for more conductors.

Rather than run another conduit, I would like to come off the 10 gauge wire with a duplex receptacle for the other machine, but it strikes me as probably prohibited. The 30 amp breaker would protect the wire. Could someone please send me to the code section so I can figure this out?

Thanks.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I went to 240.4 (D)(5)
What that would have told you is that you can bring #10 wire to the receptacle, and the 30 amp breaker can protect that wire. But what 210.21(B) will tell you is that a 30 amp breaker cannot serve a 20 amp receptacle. But if you provide a separate overcurrent device set to 20 amps, such as was suggested by Tommy SEA, then you will be in compliance with code, and you can use #12 wires from the fuse to the receptacle.

electricalist

You 2 are exactly right.
It would have taken me a week to find 210.21(B)(1)

I probably would have been looking at it from the perspective of its more than one receptacle and one being taped.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
You can't connect directly to the #10AWG per Art.240.4 for wire and device. That said, try using a KISS simple box cover with fuse unit like this: http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...urces/Catalogs/Bus_Edison_Box_Cover_Units.pdf
I would accept that, depending on connected load, but it has been debated here before that that arrangement doesn't comply with code because the 30 amp circuit would be both a feeder and a branch circuit and some think that situation would be cause for Armageddon.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.