Can I replace a 120v ballast with a 120v-277v ballast?

Not open for further replies.


New member
New Orleans, LA
I know this is probably a stupid question for experts, but here goes?I recently bought a lighting fixture online for the bathroom in my wife's hair salon. The previous fixture was a "butt ugly" fluorescent fixture with a 277v ballast. I took it down thinking I would replace with the one I ordered, but when the new one arrived, it only had a 120v ballast on it. My question is can I simply replace the ballast with a 120v-277v ballast or are there other components that would need to be replaced as well? Of course i could just return the fixture and pay the restocking fee, but I really like the fixture and if replacing the ballast is less of a hassle I'd rather go that route.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Chapel Hill, NC
Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
button at the bottom left corner of the post.
Not open for further replies.