Can I use a common ground wire for three inverters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Evans

Occupation
Management
Consider that you probably want to ground them in such a way that if you have to remove any inverter for some reason, it should not affect the system grounding for any of the others.
Excellent, that is exactly what I was looking for, some thing I may have missed and that is definitely one. At this point I spent more time asking the question and getting a reply than it would have taken for me to just run three separate wires, which, thanks you you, I will now do. I definitely do not want to have to remember to disable the other inverters if I am replacing one to make sure the remaining are grounded. Thread complete.

Peter Evans

Occupation
Management
Like electrofelon I'm really curious about these inverters but taking what you say above as given I'll answer the question.

What you are describing is multiple separately derived systems. Daisy-chaining the grounds between the inverters sounds to me like a violation of 250.64(C) and 250.30(6)(c)(3), which require a common grounding electrode conductor to be continuous. The code compliant way to do it would be to tap the common grounding electrode conductor to each inverter as described in 250.30(6).
Thanks, I will avoid the trouble of that by simply running three separate wires directing from inverter to grounding rod to avoid the chance for a disconnected ground when replacing one 20 years from now, which is assured.

Status
Not open for further replies.