can light balasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd4524

I replaced 7 balasts today for 70 watt metal halide recessed lights. Absolutely brutal to change these out through the can (7"). I have changed plenty of 12 volt transformers and 13/26 watt balasts through can light holes so I know it isn't always easy. These were ridiculous. My arm was extended at full length (I'm 5-8) just to reach the balast. I could only get one hand at a time to do any work.
I seam to remember one commercial construction job (Walgreens) where they had to build an access panel so that you could service some recessed lights from above the ceiling. Was this just a spec from the builder or do all metal halide recessed lights need to be accesible from above ceiling? Is this one of those fine lines that is up to the inspector?

Just curious

ericsherman37

I know that article 600 has requirements for access if sign ballasts/transformers/etc. are installed in attics or soffits. I don't think 410 has any such requirements but I may have skipped over something.

I think the can hole is acceptable for access, even though it's a pain.

CNC

They are a pain... Some F-can style ballasts for these HID recessed lights are easier then others. An access to an open soffit does make things easier.
Curious, when replaced, what was the test and reason you think they failed? Just open circuit voltage? I have alot of external thermal protection ballasts fail, that are internally thermal protected, that just needed the thermal external Thermal cut out removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.