can lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernboys

Hey guys what can lights do you guys prefer? Would you rather use quick connects or wire nuts? Do you use the nm hole when using nm or do you use 3/8 nm connectors? Could there be any code references that Im missing refering to the above subjects? Or is it all personal preference?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: can lights

Anything but Emerald!

The quick-connects are, well, quick. I like them fine.

I use the NM holes/spring clamps. That's what they're there for.

The manufacturer's instructions are the "code" for them.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC

Progress + Lightolier

I use the black button connectors and the blue NM press clamps, and sometimes the clamps provided in the fixture. Depends.

electricmanscott

When a manufacturer gives me items to make things easier (ie nm connectors and wire connectors pre installed) I use them. Seems foolish to pay for addtional items when they are already there. On a personal preference note I'll use any connector that does not contain the words "Plastic Blue...."

straps

Prefer HALO but will use brand x if my supply house sells em they back em. A note on EMERALD, Lowes is a fine clean store but EMERALD cans stink tried them 5 different jobs and they are junk they are next to impossible to use on re-models. I prefer the halos if others are paying if I pay then I use commercial from the Big Orange Store. :D

physis

commercial from the Big Orange Store.

You mean the $10.00 can that the trim that wont stay seated against the ceiling comes with?

allenwayne

I love progress cans,Arms stay in place,all trims stay tight with spring clips.Eye balls can be a pain.But having to open them after drywall gets tricky ;)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by physis:
commercial from the Big Orange Store.

You mean the $10.00 can that the trim that wont stay seated against the ceiling comes with?
They're now carrying contractor 6-packs w/white coilex baffles (with springs), IC-rated, and in both AT and non-AT versions.

I just which they also came in remodel versions this way.

physis

I didn't think they had those in IC. My supply guys either never heard of them or play stupid when I ask them anything a bout 'em.

I've enjoyed seeing them when they're customer provider and they (the customer) look at me like I'm some kind of lawyer when I try to explain to them why IC matters. I think they really believe I make money somehow if they buy IC cans. :D

grasfulls

Whose would you use if you needed an IC rated LV can only 5" tall and 5.25" wide? (awesome when trying to layout symetrically without messing with joists. I was told by a couple of reps that no one makes such after I installed four in my own home.

grasfulls

Phsis said:
posted August 05, 2005 09:34 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't think they had those in IC. My supply guys either never heard of them or play stupid when I ask them anything a bout 'em.

I've enjoyed seeing them when they're customer provider and they (the customer) look at me like I'm some kind of lawyer when I try to explain to them why IC matters. I think they really believe I make money somehow if they buy IC cans.

Gary replied:
Aren't your middle initials IC?

cselectric

I'll use anything that makes my job easier, as long as it's proven safe. I love the speed connects (referred to as "Wagos" in these parts.) I like them so much that I order them from the supply house for making up flourescent lighting. Not only are they quick, but they are so simple a first year apprentice can use them without more than a 10 second lesson.

As for cans, I prefer Juno for my Resi cans. For commercial, non IC rated recessed lighting I quite like Prescolights product.

[ August 05, 2005, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: cselectric ]

physis

I like Juno too. I don't know why some guys swear by Halo. I think Halo's turned into nothing special. Their trims are just plain out of line price wise.

Juno's aren't that different (I wouldn't be surprised if they're both the same thing) But I like them I think partly because I'm not expected to think there's something special about them. Their cans cost the same or less.

For the cheap stuff, $20.00 + for the same trims I bought last year for $5.00 for Halo? :confused: I'm not that loyal.

aelectricalman

Thomas Lighting and Elco, are hands down the best for contractors. Both have quick release retrators for adjustments and require no wirenuts. Also, they have nails already attached to the fixture so it becomes more of a 1 man job. Its kinda hard to hold the fixture, hold the nail to the 2 X 10 and hold a hammer at one time. Amen.

mdshunk

Originally posted by aelectricalman:
Also, they have nails already attached to the fixture so it becomes more of a 1 man job.
Hmmm... I was unaware that installing cans was ever greater than a one man job. I must have been doing something wrong all this time.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Same here. Even before the captive nails, they've all had the pound-in serrated tabs on the bars.

I rarely use a nail at all, unless the tab doesn't penetrate well; the drywall will eventually do the supporting anyway.

No, I've never had an inspector mention it.

davedottcom

I Just recently discovered Lithonia. Highly recommend them. From nailing them up, to installing the trim, to the finished look. No Complaints at all. The baffle is one that requires the lamp socket to snap directly into the top of it...holds lt. bulb in perfect position every time... no more crooked bulbs!
housing + trim + R-30 = $11.00 = :D

Dave

JohnE

For Resi work I love Juno. Won't use anything else. FWIW, I've heard Halo was started by former Juno employees, or something like that.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.