Can multiple single lugs on a secondary side of a transformer, be bolted together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbieR

I'm reviewing a field photo from the inside of a transformer. The secondary terminal points have (2) single barrel lugs bolted on top of each other for each phase. Is this allowed? It just doesn't seem right to me, but I can't find anything in the Code to probibit it unless I go to 110.3(B). I don't think these lugs are listed or labeled to be bolted on top of other lugs. I thought that's what mulitple-barrel lugs were for?

tkb

I wouldn't worry about it.
It is done that way every day and has been since Thomas Edison was a pup.

I don't know of anything that prohibits this practice.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As long as the same amount of surface area still maintains contact I don't see a problem. Quite often you have no choice but to stack them.

TimK

surface area

surface area

I'm reviewing a field photo from the inside of a transformer. The secondary terminal points have (2) single barrel lugs bolted on top of each other for each phase. Is this allowed? It just doesn't seem right to me, but I can't find anything in the Code to probibit it unless I go to 110.3(B). I don't think these lugs are listed or labeled to be bolted on top of other lugs. I thought that's what mulitple-barrel lugs were for?

Brings up a good question though, would the bottem one need twice the surface area in order to carry the ampacitiy of the second one in addition to its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.